
One year ago today, my Mom underwent a double-mastectomy. She was diagnosed with breast cancer last March, and had the surgery in May. She also had chemo treatments every 3 weeks throughout the summer. When I think back to this time last year, I'm so thankful to God! It was difficult for me to see her go through surgery- she'd never had any surgery before this! Seeing her in pain afterward was really hard. My Mom is such a strong woman! Her recovery took awhile- but through it all, she was so strong! Our verse, as a family, was Philippians 4:13 "I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength" We ordered t-shirts for the entire family, my Dad, me, my 3 sisters, all of our husbands, and 12 grandchildren! The front said "Team Judy" and the back had our verse. We wore them every time she went in for her chemo (which she dubbed "The Cure").
Seeing her lose her hair was one of the hardest things for me. She put on a brave face as it was falling out in clumps- and kept pretty scarves on once it was completely gone. The funny thing is, she has an adorable head without hair!! After her last chemo in August, her hair started growing back quickly! That's a fun process to watch, because it's k=like seeing her health and body renewed! She been back at work since October and going strong like it never happened!
I praise God everyday because I know that it doesn't always have a happy ending for people. It is such a blessing ,though, to look back a year ago, and to be where we are now- cancer-free!
2 comments:
Wow, Heather. That is amazing. I am so glad your mom is doing well. What a gift.
Hope Joshua is feeling better. I still have a clogged ear. Hoping it will be better soon. Looking forward to Friday. I will keep my fingers crossed that everyone is healthy! :)
Thanks for putting this into words so articulately, Heather. Go TEAM JUDY!
Post a Comment