Monday, April 6, 2009

Boys

As a Mom of 3 boys, I am learning a lot! I grew up with 3 sisters- no brothers! My sisters and I used to sit and have tea parties, color, paint, dress-up, and play house. I know how to play those kinds of games. I also played outside a lot, played with trucks, loved Star Wars, so I wasn't completely a "girly-girl".
Now fast forward to me with 3 boys! No one told me that boys HAVE to throw things, destroy things, rip things, take things apart, knock things down (including brothers!) make noises and sound-effects, and climb everything . So, I am quickly learning what it takes to be a Mom of all boys- I let them throw things (just not at anyone!) I let them take things apart (within reason), I let them knock things down (as long as they clean up later). Case in point: today I was attempting to straighten up the kitchen when I heard a commotion in the hallway (when is there not a commotion??) well, Joshua and Ethan had taken 2 oranges off of the counter and were throwing them like baseballs, down the hall. They weren't the tastiest oranges, so I just let them throw them around and they had fun, Ethan was entertained, and I was actually able to finish some cleaning. Later I realized there were some great benefits to letting your kids throw oranges around: the house smelled great! And the oranges were so soft by the time the boys were done, I had a glass of fresh-squeezed (or fresh-tossed around) orange juice!

No comments: