
It's Spring, but there's no Break! Not in the Turner House! I do have a break from my part-time job. A break from all of those 5th graders is nice! Extra time at home with my boys is nice ( and exhausting!). People ask me what I'll be doing over Spring Break, and I answer 'What I do everyday when I'm home!' Doug doesn't have the week off so we aren't going anywhere.
Speaking of going anywhere- I have a confession- and a question to any moms reading this: I rarely (never) go out anywhere alone with all 3 of my boys. If I have to go to Target or the grocery store, I'll wait until Doug is here so I can go alone or only take 1 or 2 boys. It's so hard to go anywhere with two 3 year olds who each want to walk at their own pace (usually snail- slow) or run in different directions, and one 16 month old who HATES being strapped into a cart and wants to walk/run everywhere like his brothers!
I feel trapped at home so often! I can't take them to a park because if I lose sight of one of them for half a second, I freak out, thinking they've run off! I've thought about taking them to the Chik-fil-A nearby because they have a great indoor playground, BUT what if I have to go to the bathroom?? I'd have to take all 3 with me and try and use the facilities while making sure nobody is touching anything, peeking under stall doors, etc. Any ideas? Keep in mind, that I have TWO 3 year old BOYS and a rambunctious toddler! No older kids to help me keep the others "in line"! I think what I really want to avoid are the unavoidable tantrum/meltdowns in public because I could very well have all 3 boys throwing a variety of tantrums/scream-fests. These usually occur as we're about to leave a park or playground- and in the past, Doug has been with me so it's at least 2 adults to 3 kids!
Any suggestions??
2 comments:
Good question, Heather! I can't say that I am in quite the same situation as you, because Marius is 4 and he is a little more helpful, and the baby is still, well, a baby, so I can keep him attached to me in the carrier.
If I want to do a shopping trip with the three boys, Costco is great because they have those big carts. Ralphs has the double car shopping cart. Kmart even has one with a double car and a TV with little shows for the kids to view like Thomas the train (just discovered that one!) Or at the regular grocery store, I will sometime let one of the boys, like Marius sit in the big basket (until the cart gets too full) so that I don't have to worry about him walking. I rarely let Christophe walk. He, of course, wants to imitate Marius, but I just say no, and he is okay with it now. The rule with Marius is that he has to walk right next to me or else he has to hold my hand (which he hates!) You could even put your youngest in the front of the cart, one older boy sitting in the big basket and then just let one walk that day, make it a special priviledge or a reward. But if he misbehaves, then switch them (this would work better if you have a short list of things to shop for.) I would encourage you to do this even just to shop for a few items. It would help you get comfortable with taking the boys out, it helps them learn the rules and to behave in the store, and if they throw a tantrum or melt down, you just leave.
As for the park, if you can find a nice empty park (Taft park by me rarely has people) then you can relax, make it a playdate with a friend and you don't have to watch so closely. Chick Filet would probably be a great trial run. Order your food, and then if things are too stressful, just take it home with you. My kids love chick filet, so I could probably just give them a list of rules beforehand and then if they don't follow through, then take them home or they miss out on something special (like ice cream). In a situation like this, I am not opposed to bribery.
As for the bathroom, you know they will touch something. So I just keep wipes handy at all times!
When you set the rules- like if you throw a tantrum or don't obey, then we are going home - be prepared to follow through. They learn quickly. And then if they disobey the next time, follow through again. They will get it down eventually. If you can get the older ones behaving correctly, the younger ones follow suit. Christophe is two now, and he rarely gives me problems when we are out. Marius is great. I took all three of the boys to Disneyland by myself last week and we had a great day. I take all three or them to grocery store regularly, and it is okay. I think as long as you don't stess yourself out, expect that things will take FOREVER and that something will go wrong, then you're okay!
Hope all this advice helps. (But I may be singing a different tune once Jacques is walking!)
Having just gotten off the phone with you after your inaugural trip to Chick-Fil-A with all three boys by yourself, I say "well done!" I love how you our conversation ended: "Someone just almost stepped on Ethan. I love you. I have to go."
Post a Comment